INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY,
MARCH 08, 2014
Dear members, partners and friends,
On March 08, 2014, we are once again celebrating International Women’s Day. We as indigenous women join in solidarity for this year’s theme: ‘Inspiring Change’. On this day, we call for challenging the status quo for women's equality and vigilance inspiring positive change, particularly for our indigenous sisters.
Kathmandu, Nepal – As part of the organizational strengthening activities of AIPP, the first sub-regional meeting of members in South Asia was conducted last February 20-21 in Kathmandu, Nepal. This meeting was attended by 36 participants representing 18 out of 19 members of AIPP in South Asia; 3 EC members representing South Asia, AIPP Secretary general and 2 from the AIPP Regional Secretariat. The AIPP members in Nepal, namely the Nepal Federation of Indigenous Nationalities (NEFIN), NGO Federation of Nepalese Indigenous Nationalities (NGO FONIN), Nepal Indigenous Women Federation (NIWF) and Youth Federation of Indigenous Nationalities (YFIN), hosted the meeting. The other members of AIPP for South Asia are from Bangladesh, mainland India and North East India.
Chiang Mai, Thailand – The Executive Council (EC) of AIPP held its first meeting for 2014 last February 11-12 with 9 out of 12 members present. The secretariat presented their assessment of the AIPP programme implementation for 2013. This was adopted by the EC and will soon be published as the AIPP Annual Report. Further, the key achievements on organizational strengthening in 2013 are as follows:
- Expansion of AIPP membership with the acceptance of Highlanders Association in Cambodia and the Adivasi Navjeewan Gathan Navjyoti Agua (ANGNA) in India as candidate members
- Formulation and adoption of the Anti-Corruption Policy and Partnership Guideline of AIPP
- Implementation of the Gender Policy of AIPP through gender mainstreaming in the different programmes
- Increased capacity building through diverse activities for members and partners
- Strengthened collective leadership of the Executive Council through their active representation in various advocacy activities and inputs to AIPP programme implementation
- Conduct of Project Partnership Assessment with AIPP members and partners for projects implemented in 2008-2013
Indigenous peoples and media practitioners from five Asian countries visited Radyo Sagada, a community radio established by indigenous peoples in Sagada, Mt. Province. The visit to the community radio was part of a Skills Sharing and Exchange Activity held led by Asia Indigenous People's Pact and Kalipunan ng mga Katutubong Mamamayan ng Pilipinas (KAMP.) The activity is under the Indigenous Voices in Asia (IVA) Project.
Dipta Chakma, regional project coordinator of IVA, said that the IVA Project aims to increase understanding of indigenous people's issues through effective reporting and broadcasting, and to improve indigenous peoples' access to information. “Through IVA activities, we are establishing a network from grassroots to mainstream media and vice versa. This is an important channel in enhancing indigenous peoples’ unheard voices.” Chakma added.
In December 2013, AIPP’s Indigenous Women Programme published “HerStory of Empowerment, Leadership and Justice”, made possible by the generous funding from the UN Trust Fund to End Violence Against Women.
‘The indigenous women’s voices and “her stories”, as an integral part of the women’s movement and indigenous peoples’ movement, remain faint. This reflects the overall conditions of indigenous women as relatively more marginalized, discriminated against and dis-empowered at all levels. It also illustrates the urgent need to strengthen indigenous women’s organizations and institutions, as well as their leadership and effective participation, in all matters that concern them as women and as indigenous peoples.’ Joan Carling, Secretary General, AIPP.
- INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY, MARCH 08, 2014
- AIPP’s South Asia Members need more capacity building support
- AIPP Executive Council adopts 2014 plan and budget
- Leadership training for indigenous peoples
- Community Organising training manual
- Updates on Indigenous Peoples' Issues in Asia (Jan 18-24, 2014)
- Media, IPs from Asian countries visit Radyo Sagada